This is one of the most common questions asked by beginners. Every beginner makes a drawing on the canvas before painting. So, the answer is kinda ‘No’
Well, if you are using graphite, then let me tell you that it shows through your painting after you are done with it. Even three layers of oil paint doesn’t hide it but a thick layer of acrylic paint might hide it. So, why take a risk?
Here are a few options:
- Grey charcoal pencil (keep it light, do not make heavy strokes)
- White charcoal pencil (use after putting down a base coat of paint)
- Watercolor pencils (use the same tone/family of colors)
- Colored pencils (use light shades)
- Do not erase on the canvas, at-least try to avoid erasing too much.
Watch video for more info and a time-lapse watercolor painting video.
If you have any questions/suggestions, leave them in the comments below. If you want to read more of my blog posts, you can subscribe by just submitting your E-mail id at the top of the sidebar on my website. If you are reading this on a mobile phone, you can scroll down and find the subscribe button there. You’ll get an update every time I publish a post. No spam. I assure you.
I also have a YouTube channel with art tutorials, hacks, time-lapse videos and much more. Do check it out here. Have a nice day.